The Yoga Ed. Summer Immersion Program, facilitated by Yoga Ed. faculty in partnership with LMU Extension, is a professional certificate program designed for individuals inspired to integrate Yoga in the K12 classroom. The Summer Immersion Program represents an experiential approach to yoga education, combining intensive classroom instruction with experience-driven mentorship.
What You’ll Gain
Transformative tools for teaching and learning.
Offered in three courses, this program equips teachers and yoga professionals with the basic principles and tools to effectively teach children in an academic environment, provides training for a deeper understanding of how to successfully shift Yoga teaching practices to connect with teens, and provides training to gain understanding and confidence to teach Yoga in a trauma informed way. Upon completion, participants will be equipped with tools to help students build a lifetime of health and wellness through the practice of Yoga. Certified by the Yoga Alliance, this program meets National Physical Education and Health Standards.
Focus: Ages 3 to 18 / Grades K to 12th
Course structure and objectives.
The Summer Immersion takes place over six weekends during the summer at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, including 18 hours of classroom observation at a local school.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand children’s and adolescents’ physical, mental, emotional, and social development
- Teach from a lens of social emotional learning and brain based learning
- Know the benefits of yoga for children and teens
- Comprehend the physiology of trauma, how it manifests in the body, and create Yoga practice to address and support symptoms of trauma
- Embody the Yoga Ed. teaching philosophies
- Design and develop yoga lesson plans appropriate to the age group you are teaching
- Create yoga classes to fulfill the National Physical Education and Health Standards
- Effectively utilize yoga tools to meet your students’ needs
- Teach yoga to students Pre-K through 12th grade
View Course Syllabus
Download an Information Packet
CEU + Standards
The Summer Immersion is certified by the Yoga Alliance and meets National Standards for P.E. Upon completion of the Summer Immersion Program, participants are eligible for 3 Course Credits through the LMU Extension Program, 95 Hours towards Yoga Alliance’s RCYT Certification, and for Continuing Education Credits (CEs) through the Child Life Council and select school districts. Participants are advised to check with their school district or credit evaluation entity to determine if this type of credit will be approved for their specific needs.
This program designed for teachers, school administrators, and other interested professionals inspired to integrate Yoga for children and teens into academic environments. No prior background or previous experience is required for our training — only a passion for yoga, education, and the health and wellness of teens!
To keep the world green for our children, we deliver our course materials digitally. Upon registration for this training, you will receive:
- Children’s Yoga Curriculum
- Teen’s Yoga Curriculum
- Trauma Informed Yoga Curriculum
- 120 pre-made lesson plans for children and teens
This training can be taken separately. Please note that you will only be eligible for RCYT certification upon completion of both Children’s Yoga (YEDX 800) & Teens’ Yoga (YEDX 801). Course material will vary. If you are interested in registering for just one course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
What You’ll Gain
Discover what our Institute will do for you.
Whether you’re a classroom teacher, a P.E. or wellness teacher, a counselor, an administrator, or a homeschooler, the Summer Immersion Program will help you to:
- Improve student behavior and classroom management with dynamic teaching techniques
- Empower students to self-regulate before class or test-taking situations with yoga breathing and relaxation
- Boost students’ health and wellness while meeting National PE and Health standards with fun, educational yoga classes
For yoga instructors and studio owners, the Summer Immersion Program will help you to:
- Expand your reach with yoga classes for youth in school districts and afterschool programs
- Share the many life skills yoga has to offer through fun, playful yoga lessons
- Discover lifelong learning through yoga education
- Join the movement towards a happier, healthier future for our youth
Parents and guardians taking the Summer Immersion Program will learn to:
- Help your children and teens stay healthy, active, and balanced in the midst of school, extracurriculars, and friends
- Empower your children and teenagers to calm down and self-regulate with yoga tools when things don’t go as expected
- Plant the seeds for your childrens’ and teenager’s lifelong health and wellness
Health Care Professionals
For pediatric health care professionals such as nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, child life specialists, and social workers, the Summer Immersion Program will help you to:
- Improve patient flexibility and muscle strength through safe and developmentally-appropriate yoga poses
- Empower your patients to self-regulate through yoga breathing and relaxation, reducing anxiety, promoting sleep quality, and improving perceived quality of life
- Apply dynamic teaching techniques to improve patient-provider communication and increase family engagement in patient care
Youth-serving nonprofit organizations can take the Summer Immersion Program in order to:
- Foster better communication and relationships with the youth you serve through a comprehensive understanding of their physical, mental, emotional, and social development
- Empower the children and teenagers you serve to self-regulate with yoga breathing and relaxation, so that they can make healthier decisions to succeed in school and in life
- Enhance your efforts towards a happier, healthier future for our youth