Yoga Ed.'s “Teaching Children's Yoga” Online Course is designed for individuals who want to learn how to teach yoga to children. Through this eight-week course, you will learn the theory and science behind the physical, cognitive, emotional, and social benefits of yoga for children. You will gain the confidence to lesson plan for your students through ample opportunities to embody and practice teach yoga breathing, postures, games, and relaxation exercises throughout the course. Upon completion of our course, you will be fully equipped with the knowledge and tools to help children build a lifetime of health and wellness through the practice of yoga.
The “Teaching Children’s Yoga” Online Course is for individuals who want to:
- Improve the health and wellness of the children in their lives
- Better connect to their children through the practice of yoga
- Learn how to encourage the best in their children
- Make a lasting difference in the lives of youth in their community
What You’ll Learn
Connect with children through the practice of yoga.
This course equips you with the basic principles and tools needed to effectively teach yoga to children. You will learn yoga techniques to promote your student’s physical, mental, and emotional health. Emphasis is placed on learning how to read and relate to children through understanding child development, anatomy, physiology, and learning domains. From this transformational training, you will emerge with the ability to effectively design yoga classes to meet children’s varying needs whether they are at school, home, or a yoga class in their community.
Focus: Ages 3 to 12 / Grades Pre-K to 5th
Course structure and how it works.
This course takes place over eight weeks. Each week includes 2-4 hours of course material (module) for a total running time of 32 hours. Modules include video lectures, live check ins, interactive exercises, downloadable lesson plans, reflection questions, quizzes, and key teaching points for each grade group. In a new, self-paced format, this training allows you to learn at your own pace and repeat lectures and practices as often as you’d like!
How it works…
- The course content is delivered to you via online streaming video with downloadable supporting documents and images, organized into 8 modules.
- Modules feature curriculum, projects, and activities so you can create yoga classes for children ages 3 to 12. Also included are more than 70 pre-made lesson plans for you to use in your classes.
- Direct access to live video chat events with the course teachers to ask questions and get feedback.
- Interaction in structured message boards connect you with other students.
- At the end of the course, you’ll submit a final assignment in which your teacher will provide personal feedback on your teaching.
- You will have access to Teaching Children’s Yoga Training for the life of the course. The course and all included materials are accessible anytime and can be completed on your schedule, across computers and mobile devices.
View the Syllabus
Download an Information Packet
CEU + Standards
Our curriculum meets National Standards for P.E. Upon completion of this course, participants are eligible for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) with the Yoga Alliance, Child Life Council, and select school districts.
No prior background or previous experience is required for our training — only a passion for the health and wellness of children!
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand children’s physical, mental, emotional, and social development including children’s anatomy and physiology
- Teach yoga from a lens of social emotional learning and brain based learning
- Embody the Yoga Ed. teaching philosophies
- Design and develop lesson plans appropriate to the age group you are teaching
- Effectively utilize yoga breathing, postures, games, and relaxation to meet your children’s needs
- Create yoga classes to fulfill the National PE standards
- Teach yoga to children ages 3 to 12, Pre-K to 5th grade
With this course, you will receive:
- 350-page color manual that covers the following topics*: Yoga Ed. teaching philosophy, positive classroom management, anatomy, physiology, developmental milestones, social emotional learning, brain based education, lesson planning, breathing, yoga poses, relaxation, and a resource guide
- 72 pre-made lesson plans for children ages 3 to 12, Pre-K to 5th grade
- Live weekly conference calls on Wednesday evenings with us to dive into the weekly material together and answer any questions you might have
- Access to course workshops, including video lectures and assignments for each week’s lecture topic
What You’ll Gain
Discover what our online course will do for you.
Whether you’re a classroom teacher, a P.E. or wellness teacher, a counselor, an administrator, or a homeschooler, this course will help you to:
- Improve student behavior and classroom management with dynamic teaching techniques
- Empower students to self-regulate before class or test-taking situations with yoga breathing and relaxation
- Boost students’ health and wellness while meeting National PE standards with fun, educational yoga classes
For yoga instructors and studio owners, this course will help you to:
- Expand your reach with yoga classes for children in school districts, daycares, and afterschool programs
- Share the many life skills yoga has to offer through fun, playful yoga lessons
- Discover lifelong learning through yoga education
- Join the movement towards a happier, healthier future for our young ones
Parents and guardians taking this course will learn to:
- Help your children stay healthy, active, and balanced in the midst of school, extracurriculars, and friends
- Empower your children to calm down and self-regulate with yoga tools when things don’t go as expected
- Plant the seeds for your children’s lifelong health and wellness
Health Care Professionals
For pediatric health care professionals such as nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, child life specialists, and social workers, this course will help you to:
- Improve patient flexibility and muscle strength through safe and developmentally-appropriate yoga poses
- Empower your patients to self-regulate through yoga breathing and relaxation, reducing anxiety, promoting sleep quality, and improving perceived quality of life
- Apply dynamic teaching techniques to improve patient-provider communication and increase family engagement in patient care
Youth-serving nonprofit organizations can take this course in order to:
- Foster better communication and relationships with the children you serve through a comprehensive understanding of their physical, mental, emotional, and social development
- Empower the children you serve to self-regulate with yoga breathing and relaxation, so that they can make healthier decisions to succeed in school and in life
- Support their efforts towards a happier, healthier future for our young ones